Wednesday, February 24, 2010

One block wonder quilts

Since I am moving across the country in 3 months, buying books, fabrics, or anything really is not going to be very wise.  I can still dream of buying fabric and books and starting a new beautiful quilt.  Maybe in my next house I will actually have a studio space instead of dragging my sewing machine around my house so I have room to sew.  This is the book I am dreaming about right now. 
 
The quilts: (from flickr)

Mary's One Block Wonder

Kaleioflower by Cindy Wilson

Marie's Quilt

WOW!!!  I am dreaming of making one of these!  The one block wonder is made from a single piece of fabric!  Let me say that again - you only have to buy one piece of fabric to make these quilts.  I couldn't believe it.  I guess there is a lot of waste fabric because of how you have to cut the fabric, but from the looks of it, it is completely worth it.  Plus, I always need new fabric for my stash!   I finished my paintbox quilt this week -- I really need to take some pictures of it now.  I, also, made two stained glass stars.  I must take pictures!!!!!

7 comments:

  1. There is almost no waste. The fabric is stacked in layers, matching the pattern printed on the fabric, then cut in strips, then the strips are cut into triangles, which are pieced together to create the blocks. The blocks are usually hexagons, but can be octagons or other shapes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, just wrote a really long and awesome comment to you and it was erased when I had to sign into my gmail account to send. Frustrating. Wish I could remember everything I said.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do have one question, what does it mean when someone is de-boning fabric?

    ReplyDelete
  4. You only need one big print fabric. You need to buy the "One Block Wonder" book. The book answers all your questions and gives precise instructions on making this quilt. Great quilting quest!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wish you would put a piece of the uncut fabric next to the one block wonder.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What is the name of the original fabric of Mary's one block wonder quilt?

    ReplyDelete